- Nevada Headlights Laws
Lighting laws in Nevada
Notice! This page contains only a list of recommendations. Kensun does not give any LEGAL advise. Please be sure to refer to a lawyer, local DOT or Police Department for further assistance.
NEVADA REVISED STATUTES
CHAPTER 484D – EQUIPMENT, INSPECTIONS AND SIZE, WEIGHT AND LOAD OF VEHICLES
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Lamps and Other Equipment for Lighting
Department of Transportation
484D.100 When lighted lamps are required.
1. Every vehicle upon a highway of this State must display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as respectively required in this chapter for different classes of vehicles:
(a) At any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise;
(b) At any other time when, because of insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead;
(c) When directed by an official traffic control device.
2. Every vehicle upon a highway must be equipped with stop lights, turn signals and other signaling devices to be lighted in the manner prescribed for the use of such devices.
484D.105 Distance of visibility and mounted height of lamps.
1. Whenever there is a requirement as to distance from which lighted lamps and illuminating devices shall be visible, such requirements shall apply during the times and conditions specified in NRS 484D.100 and measured as though the vehicle were unloaded and upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions, unless a different time or condition is specified.
2. Whenever there is a requirement as to the mounted height of such lamps or devices, such height shall be measured from the center of the lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when the vehicle is unloaded.
484D.110 Headlamps on motor vehicles and special mobile equipment.
1.Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, shall be equipped with at least two headlamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.
2.Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the headlamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured in the manner set forth in NRS 484D.105.
484D.145 Colors of certain lamps, lights and reflectors.
1. Front clearance lamps, identification lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle must display or reflect an amber color.
2. Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle must display or reflect a red color.
3. All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle must display or reflect a red color, except that:
(a) The stoplight or other signal device may be red, amber or yellow.
(b) The light illuminating the license plate must be white.
(c) The light emitted by a backup lamp must be white or amber.
(d) The tail lamp on a motorcycle may contain a blue insert as authorized in NRS 486.261.
484D.115 Tail lamps.
1. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and any vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles must be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by this chapter, emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
2. Only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle of a train of vehicles need actually be seen from the distance specified.
3.On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps must be mounted on the same level, as widely spaced laterally as practicable and at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 15 inches.
1. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer must carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section, except that vehicles of the types mentioned in NRS 484D.460 must be equipped with reflectors meeting the requirements of NRS 484D.150 and subsection 1 of NRS 484D.155.
2. Every such reflector must be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 15 inches nor more than 60 inches.
484D.180 Spot lamps, auxiliary lamps and lamps for fog.
1. Spotlight. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror or occupant of a vehicle in use.
2. Auxiliary driving light. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484D.210 apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
3. Auxiliary passing light. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484D.210 apply to any combination of headlamps and auxiliary passing lamps.
4. Fog lights. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.
Headlights: 2 minimum
- minimum height: 24 inches
- maximum height: 54 inches
Tail lights: 2
- minimum height: 15 inches
- maximum height: 72 inches
Spot lights: 2 maximum
- minimum height: n/a
- maximum height: n/a
Fog lights: 2 maximum
- minimum height: 12 inches
- maximum height: 30 inches
Auxiliary passing lights 2 maximum,
- minimum height: 24 inches
- maximum height: 42 inches
Auxiliary driving lights: 2 maximum
- minimum height: 16 inches
- maximum height: 42 inches