- Arkansas Headlights Law
Lighting laws in Arkansas
Notice! This page contains only a list of recommendations. Kensun does not give any LEGAL advice. Please be sure to refer to a lawyer, local DOT or Police Department for further assistance.
Department of Transportation
27-36-209. Head lamps.
1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two (2) headlamps, with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle.
2) The headlamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this subchapter.
(b) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one (1) and not more than (2) headlamps, which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this subchapter.
(c) Every headlamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlamp of not more than fifty-four inches (54'') nor less than twenty-four inches (24''), to be measured as set forth in 27-36-204.
(d) A covering, coating, or any type of alteration that reduces the illumination intensity of a headlamp must be removed from the headlamp during any time that the use of headlamps is required.
1) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red, blue, or green light visible from directly in front of the center thereof.
2) This subsection shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this subchapter.
27-36-215. Tail lamps and reflectors.
1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the rear.
1) Every new motor vehicle sold and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two
2) red reflectors.
27-36-216. Signal lamps and signal devices.
1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this subchapter shall be equipped, with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than one hundred feet (100') to the rear in normal sunlight.
27-36-208.(c) Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn, or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.
Headlights: 2 minimum
- minimum height: 24 inches
- maximum height: 54 inches
Tail lights: 1 minimum
- minimum height: 20 inches
- maximum height: 72 inches
Spot lights: 2 maximum
Fog lights: 2 maximum
- minimum height: 12 inches
- maximum height: 30 inches
Auxilary passing lights 2 maximum
- mimimum height: 24 inches
- maximum height: 42 inches
Auxilary driving lights: 2 maximum
- mimimum height: 16 inches
- maximum height: 42 inches